Staff of the examination board AQA are planning to strike over pay on A-Degree and GCSE consequence days, as Faculties Minister Will Quins is “scarying” their union over claims of disruption.

Outcomes 180 workers, together with managers, course heads and customer support workers, will conduct a five-day walkout from August 17 to 21.

The union has instructed that “hundreds” of adolescents might face difficulties on account of making an attempt to contact AQA on A-Degree Outcomes Day, Thursday 18 August.

However the examination board has once more denied claims of disruption, insisting that the outcomes wouldn’t be delayed and {that a} “sturdy contingency plan” was in place.

That is the third walkout within the wage dispute, with 79 employees participating within the industrial crackdown final month and one other strike deliberate for August 12-15.

On Friday, Unison confirmed a fourth spherical of strike motion from August 24 to August 28. GCSE consequence day is on twenty fifth August.

Whereas Unison mentioned putting was the “last item” workers wish to do, it mentioned workers have been left with “no alternative” because the examination board refused to go forward with the pay provide under present inflation.

employees on strike

Unison and Unite have rejected a 3 per cent pay enhance and £500 payouts for employees, claiming the charity is “failing its workers and college students by withholding pay”. AQA says the common wage enhance is 5.6 per cent.

The present fee of inflation within the UK is 9.4 p.c. Final week the Financial institution of England mentioned inflation might attain 13 per cent by autumn.

Unison’s North West regional supervisor Vicky Knight acknowledged that “the consequence ‘machine’ can not perform successfully” with out its members.

“We perceive there could also be impacts on consequence day, particularly round scholar queries, administrative errors, customer support inquiries, and so forth.,” she mentioned.

“The staff of AQA are disenchanted that the corporate will neither discuss to them nor come again with the precise wage provide. This leaves the workers with no possibility however to pursue their motion.

“Disrupting the A-Degree consequence day just isn’t a call that anybody has taken evenly. Nevertheless, AQA workers have been handled appallingly and solely daring motion will carry their employer to the desk.

“AQA should give you a critical proposal to forestall any additional disruption.”

However AQA has been prepared to repeatedly reassure college students that Outcomes Day won’t be affected by strikes, which have included mentioning that these taking part make up a small proportion of its workforce. There are whole 1,200 workers within the examination board.

A spokesperson mentioned: “We’re disenchanted that Unison has intentionally chosen to focus on college students on this manner, however that won’t cease us from delivering the check outcomes our learners so richly deserve or the later of all.” stands by.

“We now have sturdy contingency plans in place to make sure that industrial motion doesn’t impression outcomes, and we efficiently examined these plans over the past industrial motion in July.

“Our data present that solely 4% of our whole workforce participated in that industrial motion – and the remaining 96% are absolutely dedicated to by no means disappointing our learners.”

Faculties Minister Will Quins has additionally criticized the union for the “horror”.

“I believe younger individuals have sufficient to fret about and be troubled earlier than a check consequence,” he informed the PA information company.

“So as to add this to the combo as a possible concern whether or not their papers shall be marked and their outcomes come on time is totally pointless.

“I’m assured that they won’t have any impact, however sadly this can be very regrettable to intimidate such nature by the unions.”



Supply hyperlink